Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Off On Another Trek

I opened my mail box yesterday with great anticipation hoping the death certificate would be there. With eager fingers I tore the envelope open and stared at the piece of paper. I read the first line and it was the right person. Then as I read each line it was correct to what my findings were, there was only one glitch. Mother's maiden name was "not known."

Well everything else was right so it looks like I have my great great uncle! Now to figure out why he went west and who went with him. How did they go? The Oregon Trail starts at Council Bluffs winds through Nebraska, Kearney to be exact, and onward west. He was living in Kansas so did he leave from Kansas? But I found some of the family in Council Bluffs too!

Once you've unlocked one door you are ready to run as fast as you can to unlock another door. With each door you learn something new about your ancestor. It's like opening the present you got for Christmas. You want that special something so you tear the paper off in shreds to get to the prize.

Well it looks like we're back to the drawing board. I've got to find where my great great grandfather died and why he left his family in Iowa. It's like being a blood hound.....nose to the ground.....or books.....which ever the case may be.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment