Friday, June 11, 2010

Genealogy Passions

Yes I guess you could say genealogy is my passion. I come from a generation that didn't talk about your ancestors. They weren't hidden in the closet, they just weren't talked about. My generation was brought up you didn't ask questions about family matters. What your parents said was final.

Not that this was a bad thing, it's just the way it was, back then. But it left a lot of questions for our younger generation. Even my generation, I want to know the answers. My mother and father were very hush hush about anything pertaining to family.

After I married I was too busy raising my family to think about ancestors until someone asked me to do the history on a small four room school house about to be abandonded. The history would go into a time capsule at the new school.

I didn't know where to start until someone told me to go to some of the students that went to the school at the turn of the century. You have to realize this was about forty years ago, so there were a few people still around.

I had fun talking to people and taking notes then looking for other articles in the library. When I finished I had about one hundred pages of history on the old school house. I was bitten by the genealogy bug then!

That's when I started my long road, and I do mean long road, into finding my ancestors. I started with my father's side until I ran into a blank wall. Then I switched to my mother's side, where I'm still working hard to find out where her great grandfather died. I think I may have found it and I'm really really excited. I want to get in the car to go check on the records myself. But that's another story.

I'll keep you posted because it's sooooo close!

No comments:

Post a Comment