Wednesday, September 15, 2010

TRIP TO TENNESSEE

Last weekend I went to Tennessee to be at my granddaughter's wedding. I felt honored to be sharing her special day with her. The flight went well and by two o'clock I was out on the freeway driving in quite a heavy thunderstorm. There's nothing more unsettling than driving in a storm, in a city you're not familiar with, and in a car you are not used to!

I found the exit I was supposed to take, or at least I thought it was my exit. There was the hotel and right beside it was a Cracker Barrel. I could handle this........good food! I went up to the desk and asked if I was in the right hotel. She looked up my reservation and said no, but there was another Sleep In ten miles down the road. I frowned and said, "I thought I was going to be able to eat at Cracker Barrel!"

She assured me there was another Cracker Barrel beside the other hotel too. I was happy!

Between more downpours, thunder, and lightening I was able to check in at my hotel and head right for the Cracker Barrel to kill time. Before I set foot in the store my granddaughter called me and said. "Meet us at the hall if you'd like."

If I'd like? Of course I'd like to be part of everything. So off I went searching for the hall where they were to be married. When I pulled into the parking spot I couldn't help but to think of how much the hall looked like a big church. Upon entering there was a large entry way with tables and chairs inviting one to feel welcome. Off to the right I saw a hustle of activity so I gravitated there to find a big group getting ready for a wedding reception, but not my granddaughters. I walked back out and headed to the left and found young girls busy setting napkins on the tables, tying white bows made of tule on the backs of the chairs, and my grandson running here and there with a cousin.

After hugs and a tears I started helping with decorations. Then when the rehearsal was over, gifts were handed out, we all headed to Ryan's for dinner. It looked like my granddaughter had everything under control. I am so proud of her!

Wedding days can get so hyper and this one was no exception. The flower girl's shoes went missing. Everyone looked everywhere, tore everything apart, and still no shoes. Daddy and aunt were sent to the nearest Wal Mart or K Mart to find a pair of shoes! Not bad, wedding was only an hour late but flower girl had shoes, granddaughter looked beautiful, guests were seated, and now time for the ceremony.

What a beautiful ceremony. The grooms mother married them and the best man was his father. There were a few tears and long paused during the vows, and this was from the pastor, but all in all it went well.

I looked at the face of my oldest granddaughter and saw a beautiful confident woman where there once was a young lady. A woman ready to make a commitment from her heart, a commitment for the rest of life. Her sparkling blue eyes shone when she looked at her new husband. Soft, red, lips smiled, encasing the face of her love. The face of a woman in love.

A tiara adorned her strawberry blond hair that cascaded down her back, touching the top of the red embroidery, on her wedding gown. A full, white skirt fell to the floor with a small train trailing behind. A picture gracing the cover of a magazine.

A wonderful trip, beautiful wedding, gorgeous couple, and I was ready to head home.

Until then.................

No comments:

Post a Comment