Tuesday, August 21, 2012

MY HUSBAND'S DNA

Well my husband received the results on his DNA test through Ancestry.com.  I printed it out for him and watched his face as he read it.  He stood still and kept shaking his head in disbelief.  He was mumbling something inaudible.  "What was that you said dear?"

Scratching his head he replied.  "What happened to my French grandparents?" 

It seems he is 96%  British Isles and 4% uncertain.  I guess that uncertain means a mixture of don't know where you're from. 

Now we know for sure that his grandfather was born in Haverhill, MA of Irish parents who just landed on our shores.  His grandmother is from a long line of French Canadians coming from Paris France by way of Quebec, Canada.  How much more French can you get?

I reminded him that Richard the Lion Hearted went on all those Crusades way back when, taking along a LOT of British men.  Remember they went to France.  WELL, maybe some of them stayed and helped populate the French.  Maybe......just think about it.  It could happen.  Really.

So since I do know more, a little bit more than my husband, about DNA I have been left to figure out how he is related to some of the matches already posted to his account.  Looks interesting but trying to figure out who your fourth to sixth cousin is, well for my small mind, it is so confusing.  If it weren't for handy, dandy, little, charts I'd give up.  Even so I'm still having a problem.

I found one chart that has been the most helpful at www.hallsted.com/cousin-table.html. I do hope the chart helps you too.  There is also a good chart on www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/genepool/cousins.htm.

So you know what my chore is for the day besides working on my book.  I hope you are following and enjoying my story about Katie.  Dear Katie has touched my heart in many ways. Oh, did I tell you, I'm probably related to her.  Still working on that too.  It's all in the DNA.  Just wish someone from that line would do their DNA so I would know for sure.  I have matches, a lot of matches, but no matching names yet. 

If you are interested in DNA, thought that you might like to just see what your background really is, or whatever you've thought about DNA, go to www.ancestry.com and check it out.  If that is not the one you're interested in I've had mine done also by www.familytreedna.com.  Both will tell you a lot about yourself and are reasonablly priced.   Let me know what you think.

Until then...............................



 

No comments:

Post a Comment