Sunday, August 4, 2013

St. Louie on the Mississippi

Yet another memorial trip for my grandchildren and myself, of course.  I've been through St. Louis but never had the opportunity to stop.  I commend my daughter to taking her children on these one day trips to see parts of America they would probably never get to see.  Although I've been around the world there are still places right here at home I have not seen. 

My daughter has taken the children to Chicago, Orlando, Spokane, and now St. Louis to see things she has heard about and wanted her children to see first hand.  She's gathered information from colleagues she works with, and has had everything laid out, places to visit, eat, and shop.  Can't leave out the shopping!

Our adventure started at 3:30 a.m. when I picked up my daughter and three children.  Our flight left at six a.m. and we landed at the St. Louis airport at eight a.m.  It's a good thing her co- workers gave her instructions.  Go to the metro (right outside the airport) take the it to Forest Park for the zoo.

I was very impressed.  Forest Park is 1.5 acres which includes the zoo, an art museum, the Missouri History Museum, a golf course, and acres of park to run, picnic, and play.  Forest Park is one of the largest urban parks in the United States.   Approximately 500 acres larger then Central Park in New York City. 

The zoo was very clean, had sea lions, harbor seals, elephants, swans, flamingos, stingrays (which my grandson was able to pet as they swam by in circles in their pool, and a beautiful display of butterflies.   Of course this is only a small portion of what the zoo houses.  To say the least we were all very tired after walking for five hours oooing and aahhhhing.  Then it was off to the history
museum.



Bixby's café and express is housed in the museum on the second floor.  It was definitely time for some nourishment.  We stopped on the second floor at the express and grabbed a sandwich, where the youngest promptly closed her eyes and fell asleep.  My daughter proceeded to the first floor and sat in one of the comfy chairs and held her while I took the other two to explore the sights.

On the first floor was an exhibit of the 1904 World's Fair which was held in St. Louis.  From horse drawn carriages to tickets the grandchildren were able to touch and see what life was life in the early 1900's.  In the lobby a replica of the "Spirit of St. Louis" was suspended.  On the second floor one room was St. Louis' history from its founding in 1764.  

The little one had a short nap, tummies were full, exhibits were behind us, and  it was time to board the metro to check out the St. Louis Arch!   The metro stopped right across the street from the arch and we started our short trek across the park.  Now mind you I don't like heights, and I do not like tight spaces.  Neither does my daughter.  I had already purchased our tickets to go to the top but when we saw what we had to ride in to get there, we both were ready to cry!  The pod (as it was called) held five seats.  Very tightly!  No windows except the sliding door to let you in or out.  From that you could see the stairs on your way up and your way down.  I sang all the way to the top and coming back down.  I cannot carry a tune but it took my mind off the cramped space! 

It was worth the tiny pod ride to see the view from the top.  Would I go again?  YES, I would.


Did I say the arch was 630 feet high???

From there it was dinner time and get ready to go back to catch our flight back to San Antonio.  Our meal consisted of a slab of bar-b-que (St. Louis style) ribs, slaw, and beans.  I might add my grandson let me have two ribs, he ate it all.  Yes, he's a growing boy.  One granddaughter fell asleep at the table.  My daughter had the bar-b-que sampler platter, which we all had a taste of too.  Great food!

I would go back.  Eat at Sweetie Pie's next time, just to say we'd been there.  Visit more museums.  Oh yes, did I say the zoo, art museum, and the history museum was FREE! 

I'm tired......dreaming of next trip.  Mapping it out!

Until then...............................................

No comments:

Post a Comment