Monday, March 25, 2013

OBSESSION

Obessed, Obession, fixated, one-track, preoccupied, lost in, hounded, nagged, vexed, and maybe even bewitched.  All of the above is a discription of me this past month or two. 

Let me catch you up to speed here.  Ancestry posted a 98% match to me on DNA.  None of the names were names I had been researching in my tree.  Wow, I thought, this is the link to my father.  I was giddy with excitement.  Ancestry said the hit was possibly a third cousin.  This is close. 

The more I worked on the names in the tree the more frustrated I got.  Nothing was adding up.  My people were coming from IA, MN, SD, England, and Germany.  The 98% match was all from VA, NC, AR, and England.  HELP!

I got on the phone to my brother and told him about my frustration.  He said okay it's time I had my DNA done on Ancestry to see where we stand with your match.  He did and he is also a 98% match to this hit.  Now this eliminates any possibilities of this being from my father's side.  My brother and I have the same mother but different fathers.  Back to the drawing board.

A month and some has been lost to my frenzy researching the 98% match.  My writing took a back seat.  So here I am with only one new page to take to my writer's group tonight, not twelve pages.  I'll never get this book finished!

One way to look at it is that I have a GREAT picture of my 98% match.  I can tell you where they were born, raised, married, and all of their children.  But I can't find the match to me.  We are supposed to share the third great grandparents.  It isn't happening right now.  Either I have the wrong information or 98% does.  AND that can happen.

I once had my husband chase one of my Green ancestors to Duboise, WY only to find out I had the wong Sarah Green.  I had her married to Richard Green when in fact she married William Davis.  It is so easy to do.  But if you don't chase those leads you never know.  We did get to go to the Cheyene Rodeo though before we went to Duboise.  And the vacation was great.  I'd like to go again.  Let me see, oh yes, I did find one the Barnes relatives in northern WY through DNA.  Guess I could go visit them after the rodeo again.  Yes, we like rodeos!

Well back to work...........writing!

Until then.................................................. 

No comments:

Post a Comment